Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

TOP TEN THINGS I HATE ABOUT HAVING MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS

AutumnLeigh July 9th, 2016

Understanding all illnesses and disabilities is a challenge. Because Multiple Sclerosis is one where it's next to impossible to find another sufferer with the same symptoms, I wanted to create a page where those with MS can share their top ten worst. Here are mine:

10. Sudden 'Charley Horse' or extremely painful muscle spasms

9. Feelings of a bug or spider (eww) crawling on me when there isn't one

8. Weakness in arms and legs

7. Bouts of full body feeling 'fuzzy'

6. Needing more sleep than other people

5. 'Hearing' my eyes move in my head

4. Becoming disoriented

3. Associated other illnesses

2. Not being able to stand still or walk easily outdoors or in busy public places

1. Stigma!!! (You look ok, so you must not be ill)

Do you have MS? Please share your top 10!!

Have a question about this disease? Please visit http://www.7cups.com/forum/DisabilitiesSupportCommunity_47/MultipleSclerosis_152/AMAMultipleSclerosis_23704/

THANKS! heart

DeborahUK July 9th, 2016

@AutumnLeigh

It's not me that has MS, it's my partner, but we've just been chatting about these. She identifies with most, though they would be in a different order for her, with fatigue being the most pressing issue. Plus she can't cope with walking on any uneven surface, and gravel and sand almost paralyse her! And we would add a major irritation are the comments of......ohh my neighbours uncle had that and he was fine, or my aunt's cousin had it and ended up in a wheelchair. Well yes, maybe he was, and maybe she did, but it's not a one size fits all illness!

Thanks for your useful post though. I wish you the best of health.

AutumnLeigh OP July 10th, 2016

@DeborahUK

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm happy you talk to your partner about the illness. It's wonderful that you support her!! When I made my top ten, I realized there could have been 12 or more. Definitely looking up at the sky is a no-no for me and I must use a railing to walk down stairs. Thank you for contributing here! And thank you for your continued support to your partner. Having a partner that understands your illness and tries to understand the complications is a wonderful person to have by your side. Cheers! heart

DeborahUK July 10th, 2016

@AutumnLeigh

I could also add she has an affinity to the cat litter tray, where she's fallen a couple of times when her leg's given way. Fortunately the cat hardly uses it, so it's been useful to soften her fall!

Please know, should you ever wish to vent your frustrations listener to listener, I'm no MS expert, but I do try to understand. Don't be afraid to contact me if you feel it may help. Best wishes to you xx

AutumnLeigh OP July 10th, 2016

@DeborahUK

Thanks again, for your kind offer this time! You are truly a wonderfully supportive person.

Though I haven't made contact with any of my litter boxes yet, (6 cats here) I DO like to joke that 'Autumn' is a great name for me as my greatest talent is 'Fall'. :D